[nycphp-announce] next at nyphp: Creating Rich Applications with Mozilla, XUL, and AMP; Free Books; New Python SIG Created

Hans Zaunere noreply at nyphp.org
Sat Aug 21 15:34:48 EDT 2004

EDITORS NOTE:  I've seen a preview of the presentation and you won't
want to miss this exciting technology demonstration.

NYPHP August Meeting
------------------

        When: August 24th, 2004 at 6:30pm *sharp*
       Where: (new location) IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, Room 306 (3rd
Floor)
Post-Meeting: To Be Announced

IMPORTANT: All attendees MUST RSVP by 3:00pm on August 23rd. IBM
Security will not let you in the building if your name isn't listed.
RSVP online at http://nyphp.org/rsvp.php

     Details: http://nyphp.org

We wrap-up a great summer with an exciting presentation by New York
PHP's own Jayesh Sheth. Join us this August at our IBM location to learn
how Mozilla, XUL and AMP Technology can deliver fully functioning
Internet-enabled desktop applications.  This technology has huge
potential by providing fully integrated client applications, powered by
AMP Technology, in distributed environments.

Creating Rich Applications with Mozilla, XUL, and AMP Technology

Most PHP developers are used to creating HTML-based web applications
that look and feel different from traditional desktop programs. But what
if there were an easy way to bridge the gap between the look-and-feel of
desktop programs and the remote delivery (and remote data storage) of
AMP powered web applications?

The combination of the Mozilla browser's XML-based user-interface
language, XUL, JavaScript on the client side, and Apache/MySQL/PHP on
the server side, can successfully bridge the gap between desktop and web
applications. By providing an immediate and responsive user interface
that interacts with data stored on a remote server, Mozilla and XUL can
deliver the user experience of desktop applications with the power of
AMP Technology. The key bridge between the rich client (Mozilla) and the
remote server (running Apache/MySQL/PHP) is a web services protocol
called XML-RPC.

With a series of code examples, including that of an interactive
fortune-cookie machine, Jay will explain how the client and server sides
work, and how communication between them can be facilitated through the
use of XML-RPC.

Join Jay and the New York PHP crew to see how this powerful suite of
technologies can deliver rich web-based desktop applications. IBM, our
latest sponsor, has provided a great room with seating for plenty.

APress, our latest sponsor, has provided a great selection of books for
meeting attendees.  Come prepared with a business card to enter the
raffle.

        When: August 24th, 2004 at 6:30pm *sharp*
       Where: (new location) IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, Room 306 (3rd
Floor)
Post-Meeting: To Be Announced

Join us after the meeting for good food and discussion!  New location to
be announced.

As always this meeting is free and open to the public.

Be sure to RSVP online at http://nyphp.org/rsvp.php

IMPORTANT:
All attendees MUST RSVP by 3:00pm on August 23rd. IBM Security will not
let you in the building if your name isn't listed.  RSVP online at
http://nyphp.org/rsvp.php

Python SIG at New York PHP

While not a full user group, it's a start, and can serve as a common
discussion place for Python developers.

Those who are interested are encouraged to join and discuss technical
and community topics.

Also, anyone is welcome to contact me to get involved in organizing the
SIG and events.  New York PHP will help however we can to support Python
programmers.

---
Hans Zaunere
President