[nycphp-announce] NYPHP Healthcare & Benefits; Intro to PostgreSQL; NYC BSD User Group Launched

New York PHP contact at nyphp.com
Thu Jan 15 13:44:34 EST 2004

NYPHP Healthcare and Benefits
-----------------------------

Contact healthcare at nyphp.org if interested.  Details:

NYPHP is considering offering a benefits package to its members through the use of a Professional Employer Organization (PEO).  The National Association of Professional Employer Organizations' - http://www.napeo.org - states, "Professional employer organizations (PEOs) enable clients to cost-effectively outsource the management of human resources, employee benefits, payroll and workers' compensation."

Netting the whole thing out: interested NYPHP members would, in effect, "work" for two companies (i.e. Tax Id numbers); one would be the PEO, the other their own company.  The PEO would provide: health benefits, payroll services, and tax reporting services similar to a fortune 500 benefits package ( see http://www.trinet.com/services/benefits/benefits.htm for an example).  Interaction with the PEO package occurs through a portal.

In order for us to get realistic proposals (e.g. price quotes), we need a show of hands who's interested.  If you'd like to explore this option, or have other suggestions for making this a success, please email healthcare at nyphp.org ASAP.

As a rough ballpark number ($75,000 annual salary) we're looking at ~

$600/mo individual
$975/mo individual+1
$1,200/mo family

for

Blue Cross PPO
Delta Dental Plan
Vision Service Plan
60% Salary Short term disability
60% Salary Long term disability
$50,000 Life Insurance
Payroll service (e.g. direct deposit and tax withholding)
Human Resource compliance program
Online portal

January Meeting Program
-----------------------

When: January 27, 2004 at 6:30pm
Where: Digital Pulp
Details: http://nyphp.org

New York PHP is pleased to kick the new year off with an exciting introduction to PostgreSQL. Join core developer and renowned speaker Bruce Momjian as he covers a project that's sparked a new era in Open Source database development.

"This talk is perfect for those new to PostgreSQL or people who just want a general introduction to the project. It covers its origins in academia, its movement to Internet-based development, why people choose PostgreSQL, its current usage, and future directions. This is not a technical talk."

As always this meeting is free and open to the public - and please be sure to RSVP by sending a message to rsvp at nyphp.org.

NYC BSD *User Group
-------------------

>From http://nycbug.org...

---

We have initiated a BSD user group in New York City called NYCBUG (pronounced "nice-bug").

There are two goals for this new user group:

First, to provide a forum for the many BSD users in New York City to discuss and debate topics of interest to the BSD community.

Second, to provide a bridge to users interested in learning more about or expanding their knowledge of the BSD family.

Our kick-off event will be a free "birds-of-a-feather" session at LinuxWorld Expo at the Jacob Javits Center on January 22nd at 5:45pm, Room 1E15. We will have a presence at various tables at the expo, including those of BSDMall and New York PHP.

Our first presentation, "Secure by Default: Learning from OpenBSD," will be held on Wednesday, February 4th at 7:00pm in the offices of SageSecure, 116 West 23rd Street and 6th Avenue on the fifth floor. To be given by Wes Sonnenreich, author of "Building Linux and OpenBSD Firewalls" and "Network Security Illustrated," this talk will deal with crucial security concepts and best practices for today's computing environments. Subsequent meetings will take place at 7:00pm on the first Wednesday of the month.

Our website is located at www.nycbug.org. The site will include a joint documentation project with New York PHP and OpenlySecure.org, focused on providing original documentation to new and experienced BSD users alike. NYCBUG also provides community mailing lists to assist in discussion and learning about the BSD world. Interested users join the mailing list at http://www.nycbug.org/mailinglist.html.

NYCBUG is open to all interested individuals, including, but not limited to, users of FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OpenDarwin, Darwin and Mac OSX.

Since the origins of Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) UNIX in the 1970's, BSD has been a consistent force among the backroom servers of the world, powering internet service providers, hosting firms, and web sites such as Yahoo! and 2600.com. NYCBUG works to assist current users, those interested in learning more about this fundamental operating system family and various other BSD projects, and to provide a channel for community interaction.

We look forward to supporting the BSD community in a variety of ways in the coming months and years. Please join us in making NYCBUG a success.