[nycphp-announce] next at nyphp: Practical SSL With Apache and PHP; Internationalization with OASI; MySQL CEO, Nov. 6th; December Training

New York PHP noreply at nyphp.org
Sun Nov 6 12:07:10 EST 2005

November General Meeting:
Practical SSL With Apache and PHP; Internationalization with OASI

 When: Tuesday, November 22nd at 6:30pm sharp (4th Tuesday of every month)
Where: IBM  590 Madison Avenue, Room 1219 (12th Floor)
 RSVP: http://www.nyphp.org/rsvp.php

You must RSVP within 30 days of the meeting you attend!

The leaves are falling and the turkeys are running but don't lose your head
and miss November's general meeting at New York PHP!

This month we're proud to present New York PHP authors Chris Snyder and
Michael Southwell, who teamed up to write Pro PHP Security from Apress. We
also have special guest Matteo Rinaudo, CCNA, from Italy. Join us as they
share their insight gained while writing the book on making SSL, Apache and
PHP a happy family, and Matteo's introduction of internationalization
toolset, OASI.

Snyder and Southwell write:

Setting up an SSL-enabled web server is relatively easy using Apache's
mod_ssl... so easy, in fact, that an understanding of how SSL and
certificates work to ensure the privacy and integrity of HTTPS communication
is not even a requirement. It just works, as is shown by the little gold
lock in the browser.

But as we found out in the course of writing Pro PHP Security, correctly
configuring an HTTPS server to be truly secure requires a working knowledge
of the tools and techniques of public-key encryption, and a general
understanding of what happens during the various phases of the SSL protocol
(now better known as TLS).

The bonus for getting your hands dirty and really grokking SSL, as a PHP
developer, is that you will end up with more than just a production-ready
secure server. Thanks to PHP's OpenSSL module, your applications have the
ability to sign and/or encrypt messages, including database fields, files,
emails, XML values, and so on. You can also verify the integrity of signed
messages, and decrypt messages that have been encrypted using your public
certificate. And you can use PHP to script the creation and maintenance of
keys and certificates on the command line.

Our goal, then, in sixty minutes or less, is to:

1. Give you a comprehensive re-introduction to SSL/TLS, and do a quick
walkthough of what's going on between server and client during the
all-important handshake phase. Then we'll take a close look at the Apache
configuration directives for mod_ssl.

2. Show you how to use PHP to assist in the generation, verification, and
day-to-day maintenance of RSA keys and certificates.

3. Walk through PHP code for signing, verification, encryption, and
decryption of arbitrary values, using those keys and certificates.

Then we'll open the meeting to discussion of some of the ways that NYPHP
community members use SSL and/or Public Key Encryption in their
applications, and of the tradeoffs between creating your own CA and paying
for a commercial signature.

Once the discussion turns into a gripe session about commercial certificate
authorities and patents, we'll close the meeting with a book raffle and head
to TGI Fridays for beverages and grub.

OASI

OASI is a recursive acronym and stands for `Oasi's A Serviceable Implement'.
It is a framework which allows PHP web developers to write internationalized
web pages. By means of a control panel, you can add, modify, delete user
created custom languages, defining items like language name, charset, text
direction and so on. This information will be stored into a MySQL database.
In the control panel also, you can add the internationalized text (already
translated by humans or by the supplied `google-plugin'.

Internationalized contents are bound to user defined needles which will be
passed as arguments in the PHP script page to the method which retrieves the
internationalized text according to the session language in use (changeable
by means of a text box).

Thanks to IBM for providing a great presentation space with seating for
plenty.

As a service to our community, New York PHP meetings are always free and
open to the public.

Come prepared with a business card to enter book raffles.

 When: Tuesday, November 22nd at 6:30pm sharp (4th Tuesday of every month)
Where: IBM  590 Madison Avenue, Room 1219 (12th Floor)
 RSVP: http://www.nyphp.org/rsvp.php

You must RSVP within 30 days of the meeting you attend!

CEO Marten Mickos, Monday November 6th, MySQL Meetup

Meet the MySQL New York team, plus special guest, MySQL CEO Marten Mickos.
Get your questioned answered, and learn about the newly released MySQL 5.0 -
plus free drinks and food.

See for Meetup details: http://mysql.meetup.com/7/events/

New York PHP Training in December

Both Programmer and Designer tracks are available in early December.  Avoid
the holiday rush and take advantage of the early-bird special.  Learn more
and sign-up:

http://www.nyphp.com/training/indepth.php

---
New York PHP Community