[nycphp-announce] next at nyphp: An Introduction to PHP-GTK 2 at June Monthly Meeting; NYPHPCon 2006 Recap; Summer Training Schedule

New York PHP noreply at nyphp.org
Thu Jun 22 19:06:05 EDT 2006

Submit or suggest a presentation - either for online presentation or
in-person:
http://www.nyphp.org/presentations.php

NYPHPCon 2006 Recap
-------------------

Thanks to all of those who could make it to the conference.  It was a huge
success and NYPHP organizers will be gathering photos and presentations
online.  Stay tuned for follow-up announcements and thank you to our
sponsors, attendees and speakers!

June General Meeting:
An Introduction to PHP-GTK 2
----------------------------

 When: Tuesday, June 27th at 6:30pm sharp (4th Tuesday of every month)
Where: IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, Room 1219 (12th Floor)
 RSVP: http://www.nyphp.org/rsvp.php

You must RSVP within 30 days of the meeting you attend!

For most people PHP is a language that allows them to create dynamic web
pages, but not much else. Many developers have probably used PHP on the
command line in the form of PEAR but even this does not take full advantage
of PHP's power. PHP-GTK 2 is a PHP extension which combines the power of PHP
5 and Gtk+ 2 allowing developers to create standalone PHP applications free
from the confines of a web browser. Applications written in PHP-GTK 2 can be
much more powerful and interactive than those which rely on a web server.

This presentation will introduce the basic concepts of PHP-GTK 2. First we
will discuss how an application can interact with the user via signals and
events. Next we will see how to layout an application and present data to
the user in many different formats. Finally, we will look at how to
customize an application to give it a unique look and feel. These topics
will be covered as we step through the process of creating a relatively
simple PHP-GTK 2 application, which will be a sort of desktop mashup. The
application will allow a user to search for an event using the EVDB web
services API. Of course the user will want to know what the weather is like
at the event, so the application will use the National Weather Service API
to show the current weather in the destination city.

Scott Mattocks is a LAMP Developer for OnForce.com. He is also the author of
"Pro PHP-GTK" (Apress 2006). Scott has been working with PHP-GTK several
years. Not only has Scott been working with PHP and PHP-GTK, but he has also
been contributing back to the community in many ways. Scott spent many hours
to help improve the first set of documentation for PHP-GTK and is listed as
one of the authors for the PHP-GTK 2 documentation. He has also contributed
several PHP-GTK classes to PEAR and has added code to more traditional PEAR
packages such as PHPUnit and Console_Getargs.

Thanks to IBM for providing a great presentation space with seating for
plenty.

As a service to our community, New York PHP meetings are always free and
open to the public.

Come prepared with a business card to enter book raffles.

 When: Tuesday, June 27th at 6:30pm sharp (4th Tuesday of every month)
Where: IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, Room 1219 (12th Floor)
 RSVP: http://www.nyphp.org/rsvp.php

You must RSVP within 30 days of the meeting you attend!

New York PHP Training Schedule for 2006
---------------------------------------

The training schedule for the first half of 2006 has been set, with both
Designer and Programmer tracks available.

Plus, a new Combo package is available for those wanting 4 days of premier
PHP training.

Early-bird specials are available.

Learn more and sign-up:

http://www.nyphp.com/training/indepth.php