[nycphp-announce] TOMORROW at nyphp: Caching: CDNs to Shared Memory

New York PHP hostmaster at nyphp.com
Mon Nov 23 12:32:16 EST 2009

Check out our new Bootup events for developers and entrepreneurs at
www.bootup.io

November General Meeting:
Caching: CDNs to Shared Memory
------------------------------

         Date: November 24th, 2009 at 6:30PM (sharp)
     Location: IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, New York, NY (12th Floor)
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP  (all attendees MUST RSVP)
 Post-Meeting: TGI Fridays at Lexington and 56th (about 8pm)

It's that time of the year again - for cliche Turkey jokes.  So what's
happens when your server just can't handle the load? You cache it somewhere
else, of course! With performance on our mind from last month's
presentation, we're pleased to welcome Jorge Lopez to speak on the art and
science of stuffing stuff you need to somewhere else (ie, caching).

When scaling a web site from a few users to millions, the first pain point
is almost always the database. Query optimizations only go so far,
eventually data can no longer be retrieved from the database fast enough to
accommodate the influx of client requests. This is the point where caching
comes in to play.

This presentation covers all the layers of a LAMP stack where caching can be
utilized to greatly increase the capacity of a site. Subjects such as the
utilization of CDNs, template/output cache, key/value stores, and shared
memory (APC) will be covered. I discuss lessons learned from working at
various companies and giving real world examples (and numbers) as well as a
guide to figuring which parts of a site should be cached first.

Jorge Lopez is a software engineer, cat lover, and avid PHP user since '98.

Read the full description and RSVP at the "new" http://www.nyphp.org/

Thank you to IBM for providing a great presentation space in Midtown
Manhattan. As a service to our community, New York PHP Community meetings
are always free and open to the public.

Come prepared with a business card to enter book and software raffles.

     Location: IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, New York, NY (12th Floor)
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP  (all attendees MUST RSVP)
 Post-Meeting: TGI Fridays at Lexington and 56th (about 8pm)

You must RSVP within 30 days of the meeting you attend - that means RSVP
now!

Check out our new Bootup events for developers and entrepreneurs at
www.bootup.io

---
New York PHP User Group Community
http://www.nyphp.org/