[nycphp-announce] special at nyphp: 3/1/11 - Asset Management and Image Manipulation in PHP 5.3 - WATCH ONLINE

noreply at nyphp.org noreply at nyphp.org
Fri Feb 25 13:03:55 EST 2011

March Special Presentation:
Asset Management and Image Manipulation in PHP 5.3
Managing Javascript, CSS and Images in Object-Orientated PHP

         Date: Tuesday, MARCH 1ST, 2011 at 6:30PM (sharp)
     Location: Suspenders Restaurant, 111 Broadway (ask Hostess)
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP/182 (all attendees MUST RSVP)
 Post-Meeting: Stick around for networking and PHP cheer.

 Watch Online: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/new-york-php

Join us for this special March doubleheader. In addition to our regular 4th
Tuesday March meeting, which will be announced shortly, we're pleased to
have Kris Wallsmith and Bulat Shakirzyanov walk us through their
in-production techniques for better managing the ubiquitous web asset
problem.

NOTE: This meeting is at Suspenders on March 1st - RSVP is still required.

-- Introducing Assetic: Asset Management for PHP 5.3

The performance of your application depends heavily on the number and size
of assets on each page. Even your blazingly fast PHP 5.3 application can be
bogged down by bloated Javascript and CSS files. This session will give you
a basic introduction to PHP's new asset management framework, Assetic, and
explore how you can integrate it in your projects for a pleasant, common
sense developer experience.

Kris is a member of the core team of the Symfony Framework, Symfony Guru at
OpenSky, and long-time advocate for simple solutions to complex problems. He
works from his home office in Portland, Oregon where he and his wife raise
their three young children.

-- Introducing Imagine: Image manipulation for PHP 5.3

Whenever I need to make image thumbnails, or some other simple
manipulations, it becomes a huge pain as the low level PHP APIs for image
manipulation are hard to work with and very diverse. In this talk I will
explain how Imagine brings all of them together in a nice high-level OO API
mostly inspired by Python's PIL and other image manipulation libraries.

Bulat Shakirzyanov is software alchemist at OpenSky, member of the Doctrine
Project core team, holds a black belt in test-fu, Symfony2 fan and
contributor, geek and talks about himself in third person.

     Location: Suspenders Restaurant, 111 Broadway (ask Hostess)
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP/182 (all attendees MUST RSVP)
 Post-Meeting: Stick around for networking and PHP cheer.

 Watch Online: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/new-york-php

You must RSVP within 30 days of the meeting you attend - that means RSVP
now!

---
New York PHP
http://www.nyphp.org/