[nycphp-announce] 2011 at nyphp: PHP Unit Testing - NYPHP is 10

noreply at nyphp.org noreply at nyphp.org
Mon Jan 3 14:30:41 EST 2011

Holiday Party Note:
---
Thanks to the hundreds that attended and please upload your photos -
http://www.flickr.com/groups/hp10/

January General Meeting:
PHP Unit Testing
Introduction to writing testable PHP code

         Date: Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 at 6:30PM (sharp)
     Location: IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, New York, NY (12th Floor)
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP/180 (all attendees MUST RSVP)
 Post-Meeting: TGI Fridays at Lexington and 56th (about 8pm)

Welcome to 2011 - and to New York PHP's 10th year! Not only does 2011 give
us the opportunity to celebrate another trove of binary dates, it marks
NYPHP turning 10 (that's decimal).

A lot has happened in the PHP world - not to mention the whole world - since
NYPHP started a decade ago, and we thank everyone for their past, present
and future support and involvement with this great community.  One decade
down, many more to go.

While in a decadal mood, we're also thinking about everyone's favorite
subject - testing.  Like your grade school teacher telling you to check your
work, testing is vital for getting on the enlightened path of quality code.
This January, we're pleased to have black-belt-unit-tester Bulat
Shakirzyanov here to whoop us into unit testing shape and usher in our 10th
year.

Programmers, no matter what they tell you, don't test only because they
don't know how to do it. Testability needs to be embedded in the code, and
cannot be achieved if is not planned for.  That is why I try to explain
using simple examples how to achieve testable, well-written code, and then
how to refactor it, to get rid of duplication and hardly testable code. The
talk is built around the four main properties of the unit test, where I
explain how to achieve each by applying some of the well and not-so-well
known programming techniques.

Bulat Shakirzyanov a.k.a. avalanche123 is software alchemist at OpenSky,
member of the Doctrine Project core team, holds a black belt in test-fu,
Symfony2 fan and contributor, geek and talks about himself in third person.

Read the full description and RSVP at http://www.nyphp.org/

Thank you to IBM for providing a great presentation space in Midtown
Manhattan. As a service to our community, New York PHP Community meetings
are always free and open to the public.