[nycphp-announce] next at nyphp: Virtualization for Web Developers

noreply at nyphp.org noreply at nyphp.org
Fri Feb 24 04:55:03 EST 2012

February General Meeting
Virtualization for Web Developers
A PHP developer's look at what makes the cloud tick, including
private virtual infrastructures and development environments.

         Date: Tuesday, February 28th, 2012 at 6:30PM (sharp)
     Location: IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, New York, NY (12th Floor)
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP/196
 Post-Meeting: Continue the discussion with NYPHP at TGI Fridays, 56th &
Lex.

 Watch Online: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/new-york-php

Awwe - it's February!  And NYPHP has been shot yet again by the cupids in
the clouds, welcoming Justin DeMaris, Senior Engineer at Buddy Media, for a
rare technical look at what makes the cloud so loveable - virtualization.

Virtualization has changed the platform playing field for web development
considerably. With the advent of platforms like Amazon's EC2, not only can
our PHP apps scale outward with a few clicks of the mouse, but our apps can
also be platform-aware and provide all of the right metrics to know when is
the right time to scale. This presentation is going to cover the core models
and issues that you will encounter as a PHP programmer in a virtualized
world. Focusing on EC2, but brushing on private virtual infrastructures with
VMWare, Xen and KVM, we will talk about how the virtual environment affects
your production code execution and your development environment as well as
what new considerations you should be taking into account for every app you
write. We will finish by going over future features you might want to
consider that this infrastructure approach makes possible.

Material will be a combination of slide show and live demos with the
technology.

Justin DeMaris grew up in the back woods of Maine at the end of a dirt road
with no electricity. True story. His friend claims that when he finally
moved into modern civilization at the age of 12, he decided he had to learn
these computer things, and kind of over-compensated. Justin started
programming at 13 and loved it so much he got a bachelors in it from
University of Connecticut. Working on a lot of very small teams he also had
to branch out into system administration land and has worked using VMWare
ESXi, Xen, and Amazon EC2. He was a major contributor early on to the
Zentific Xen management UI project and has run LAMP clusters along with
NoSQL clusters on EC2 for a New York advertising agency, supporting hundreds
of millions of ad impressions a day.

Read the full description, details, and RSVP at http://www.nyphp.org/

As a service to our community, New York PHP Community meetings are always
free and open to the public.

     Location: IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, New York, NY (12th Floor)
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP/196
 Post-Meeting: Continue the discussion with NYPHP at TGI Fridays, 56th &
Lex.

 Watch Online: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/new-york-php

---
New York PHP Meetup Group