[nycphp-announce] TONIGHT at nyphp: (NEW LOCATION) Keeping Your Feet on the Ground with PHP in the Cloud

noreply at nyphp.org noreply at nyphp.org
Tue Jan 24 10:33:21 EST 2012

NOTE: Location is now Suspenders.

January General Meeting
Keeping Your Feet on the Ground with PHP in the Cloud
A developer's introduction to cloud hosting for PHP LAMP PHP development

         Date: Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 at 6:30PM (sharp)
     Location: Suspenders Restaurant, 111 Broadway, New York, NY
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP/197
 Post-Meeting: Stick around for discussion and networking.

 Watch Online: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/new-york-php

Welcome to the future! Time marches on and with it the trends and concepts
in technology follow. While in 1912 we'd discuss exciting new developments
in metallurgy, the Titantic and vitamins, in 2012, innovation is a bit
loftier.

NOTE: Location change.

Originally over-hyped, subsequently confused, and still misunderstood, cloud
computing is evolving and it's footprint on web development has become real.

After a relaxing - and somewhat extended - holiday, NYPHP is right back in
action with January and February meetings that will bring the next
generation of hosting down to earth for PHP developers.

This January, join New York PHP Founder Hans Zaunere as he takes a
real-world look at cloud computing, and what it means for web development.

Then in February, join Justin DeMaris for a detailed look at the cloud's
heart - virtualization and it's impact on web applications.

Keeping Your Feet on the Ground with PHP in the Cloud

The cloud meme has taken the Internet by storm, often synonymous with modern
Internet development, and promises solutions to old problems that are
better, faster and cheaper. As a result, it's become a buzzword for many
non-developers, and a prerequisite for the right approach to web
applications - even with little to no actual understanding of the
technology.

But as developers, we come face-to-face with the technology and it's
technical minutia. We need to understand the nuts-and-bolts that's behind
the marketing so that we can accurately assess, recommend and deploy
applications.

In this slide-led open discussion, New York PHP Founder Hans Zaunere clears
the air around the cloud with a technical-no-fluff look at terminology,
available offerings, what this new hosting paradigm means for developing PHP
applications - and most importantly - the actual technology in use and the
challenges it can solve - and introduce.

Developers and non-developers will find in this talk:
    What is the cloud? The utility concept and how it's different from
baremetal hosting.
    Why the Cloud? Doesn't hosting work well already?
    Types of cloud - what the word means in different circles.
    Rough air? A walk in the clouds - with a parachute.
    Open discussion and Q&A.

Read the full description, details, and RSVP at http://www.nyphp.org/

As a service to our community, New York PHP Community meetings are always
free and open to the public.

     Location: Suspenders Restaurant, 111 Broadway, New York, NY
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP/197

 Watch Online: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/new-york-php

---
New York PHP