[nycphp-announce] tuesday at nyphp: Don't be STUPID: GRASP SOLID!

noreply at nyphp.org noreply at nyphp.org
Fri May 18 10:00:33 EDT 2012

May General Meeting
Don't be STUPID: GRASP SOLID!
A DRY KISS of SOLID - not STUPID - PHP development.

         Date: Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 at 6:30PM (sharp)
     Location: IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, New York, NY (12th Floor)
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP/199
 Post-Meeting: Continue the discussion with NYPHP at TGI Fridays, 56th &
Lex.

 Watch Online: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/new-york-php

FYI: OOP can be an important tool for development. But with so many design
principles, it can lead to FUBAR'd code ASAP without the right TLC.
Fortunately, NYPHP welcomes back development SEAL and VIP Anthony Ferrara to
SOS us from these PITA acronyms and coding SNAFUs. This May, don't go MIA
with some RPG; RSVP, bring your ID for IBM security, and then join us PM at
TGIF's for some R&R and Q&A on how to avoid being SOL, with PHP.

When it comes to Object Oriented Programming, there is no shortage of
guidelines and principles for how to properly design an OO system. There is
also no shortage of acronyms to describe these principles: DRY, SRP, LSP,
LoD, ISP, OCP, etc. However, there are two acronyms that really shine
through to describe how to, and how not to do OOP well. The two acronyms are
SOLID and STUPID (respectively). We'll discuss some of the underlying
principles of Object Oriented Programming, and how we can learn from the
principles identified by each of these two acronyms. Additionally, we'll
explore some additional anti-patterns of Object Oriented Design and how they
can be avoided. Finally, we'll talk about how all of this applies to our
every day development tasks, and the real-world benefit these design
principles provide...

Anthony Ferrara is a Senior Architect for NBC Universal, specializing in
Object Oriented Design, Application Architecture and Highly Scalable Web
Applications. He also has experience in Web Application Security and PHP
Internals. He is a contributor to multiple Open Source projects, as well as
the PHP community as a whole. He is also a former Core Team Member and
Development Coordinator for the Joomla! project, as well as a former leader
of its Security team. You can follow his blog at blog.ircmaxell.com or on
Twitter at @ircmaxell.

Read the full description, details, and RSVP at http://www.nyphp.org/

As a service to our community, New York PHP Community meetings are always
free and open to the public.

     Location: IBM, 590 Madison Avenue, New York, NY (12th Floor)
RSVP Required: http://www.nyphp.org/RSVP/199
 Post-Meeting: Continue the discussion with NYPHP at TGI Fridays, 56th &
Lex.

 Watch Online: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/new-york-php

---
New York PHP Meetup Group