NYCPHP Meetup

[nycphp-jobs] job: Sr. PHP developer - startup - Union Square NYC

Joseph Pizzo jpizzo2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 11:07:06 EDT 2008


Hi Tony,
I would like to say this before 10 or more other recruiters respond... My experience has been exactly what I've described. You can say "you're wrong" and I can't fault you for trying to defend yourselves. My intent here is not to offend anyone - but rather open your eyes to the practices of many of the recruiters that post here - and work off the major job boards.
-J

--- On Thu, 7/17/08, Tony Sternberg <tony at cognizo.com> wrote:
From: Tony Sternberg <tony at cognizo.com>
Subject: Re: [nycphp-jobs] job: Sr. PHP developer - startup - Union Square NYC
To: jpizzo2004 at yahoo.com
Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 10:57 AM




  
Hey Joeseph - 



I don't want to get in the middle of all the posting on the board, but
I have to say you are entirely wrong when it comes to your
understanding how recruiters work.



I do direct placement recruiting - therefore I'm paid either a flat
fee, or a % of salary for the programmer that is hired. I would have
every motivation in the world to get my candidate a higher salary,
because in turn I would be compensated higher.



What you might be referring to is contract recruiters, where a company
gives them say $80/hr to find them a developer, and if you find one
that fits their needs for $60/hr you would get the difference in pay?
I'm not sure as I don't do this type of recruiting.. but please realize
there are many different models that people work under out there before
posting these things when you are not entirely sure how the industry
works.



Thanks,





Tony
Sternberg

Cognizo Technologies 

8201 Norman Center Drive, Suite 220

Bloomington, MN 55437

w: (952) 232-0880 x107

f: (952) 922-8444
Click
here to see current job opportunities.

CATS - FREE Applicant Tracking System






Joseph Pizzo wrote:

  
    
      
        I'm usually silent throughout these rants but... 

        

There is no EOE (equal opportunity employment) when working with a
recruiter. I'm not saying that all recruiters are bad - but they are
not there to help you negotiate your salary... they are negotiating
their commission. 

        

Recruiters will ask you "what is the least amount of salary you will
accept for this position?". That same recruiter will go on to the next
person and ask them the same question. They will take the lowest bidder
and pass them on to their client. 

        

This is bad because it lowers your salary for the entire time you are
employed at a company. "They" (meaning companies hiring and recruiters)
love this game. Recruiters make a hefty commission and companies use
part of your salary to pay them. The company hiring for the position is
supposed to pay the recruiter - but they are doing it with your money.
This also means that the company is getting a "bargain" because they
only have to pay a recruiter once - meanwhile you are making less money
than you should be for the remaining time of your employment. 

        

This is bad for the companies looking to fill a position because they
are not going to get the best candidate for a position. They will get
the lowest bidder not the most qualified person.

        

        

        

        

        

--- On Thu, 7/17/08, Kristina Anderson <ka at kacomputerconsulting.com>
wrote:

        From:
Kristina Anderson <ka at kacomputerconsulting.com>

Subject: Re: [nycphp-jobs] job: Sr. PHP developer - startup - Union
Square NYC

To: "kaye" <kaye at cisny.com>, jobs at lists.nyphp.org

Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 9:25 AM

          

          also

Environment: Relaxed

can often mean

"Not
 only does our senior management LOOK like a bunch of potheads in 
their super relaxed casual wear, they actually ARE a bunch of potheads, 
and this is their first real job, and therefore while THEY may find the 
environment relaxed, you their employee will be subject to constant 
boneheaded reversals and poor decision making skills on their part 
ensuring that you are anything BUT relaxed."

-- Kristina



> stuff like
> 
> Environment: Relaxed
> 
> actually means "we all wear really hideous casual clothing, and we 
want 
> you to dress this way too, because if you're comfortable in your 
funny 
> shorts and faded t-shirt, then we think you won't realize that you 
are 
> working 12 hour days in a slavepit without even some non-soundproof 
> cubicle walls to call your own."
> 
> This is a prime example of what you do not want to say.
>
 Programmers don't care about dress codes.  Even if there is one, we 
are 
> going to dress the way we want to dress anyway.
> 
> also, exactly WHAT is "in the space between e-commerce and content / 
ad 
> driven"...?    
> 
> 
> --Kristina
> 
> 
> > Listening to the list last night and this morning, why not tell us 
> > recruiters, both in-house and agency, what you want to see in the 
ads?
> > 
> > I've cut this down to the bone. I've got more information but
all 
the 
> > verbiage in an email isn't as good as a 10 minute conversation
with 
> me, 
> > and a face to face with the client company.
> > 
> > If you are interested, or you want more information, drop me an e-
> mail 
> > or give me a call. The number's there.
> > 
> > This is an employee position.
> >
 
> > Location: Union Square, NYC
> > Company type: small, interactive, whose profitable business is in 
the 
> > space between e-commerce and content / ad driven.
> > Environment: Relaxed
> > The need: a strong Object Oriented PHP developer who likes to write 
> > complex SQL statements and can also produce excellent front end 
AJAX.
> > 
> > The team is multi-national, as is the senior management.
> > 
> > What will you be doing? Creating scalable websites whose hit 
numbers 
> go 
> > from 10s of thousands to 10s of millions. Growing - expected to 
> double 
> > in size in two years.
> > 
> > Excellent benefits.
> > Salary, depending on experience, to 95K + bonuses.
> > 
> > All replies in confidence.
> > 
> > -- 
> > What's around the corner? 
>
 >  
> > Arthur Kaye		    Concepts in Staffing 
> > v.212-293-4353	    9 E. 37th St. 2nd floor 
> > f. 212-652-0789	    New York, NY 10016 
> > kaye at cisny.com           212-725-0300 
> > http://www.cisny.com/
> > 
> > 
> > 
______________________________________________________________________
> > This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security 
System.
> > For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
> > 
______________________________________________________________________
> > _______________________________________________
> > New York PHP Community Jobs Mailing List
> > http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/jobs
> > 
> > NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> > http://www.nyphpcon.com
> > 
> > Show Your Participation in New York
 PHP
> > http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
> > 
> > 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> New York PHP Community Jobs Mailing List
> http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/jobs
> 
> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com
> 
> Show Your Participation in New York PHP
> http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
New York PHP Community Jobs Mailing List
http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/jobs

NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
http://www.nyphpcon.com

Show Your Participation in New York PHP
http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php
        
        
      
    
  
  

  
_______________________________________________
New York PHP Community Jobs Mailing List
http://lists.nyphp.org/mailman/listinfo/jobs

NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
http://www.nyphpcon.com

Show Your Participation in New York PHP
http://www.nyphp.org/show_participation.php

 



      
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.nyphp.org/pipermail/jobs/attachments/20080717/6104c72b/attachment.html>


More information about the jobs mailing list