[mambo] Re: Mambo (was: Consulting work)

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 19:42:41 EDT 2005

Committing a heinous crime and cross-posting to the NYPHP Mambo list.

*gasp!*

On 7/2/05, Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv.com> wrote:

> * Non MySQL support.
> Based on what I see on the forums and an email I sent asking it seems
> Mambo will support other databases in the not too distant future.
>
> Do you have any guestimates when this may be?

The upcoming 4.5.3 release utilizes ADOdb for database abstraction,
and we support any database that ADOdb supports. We've made a lot of
changes and fixes along the way, hoping to make ADOdb better as well.

You can check it out of cvs from the mambo project site at MamboForge,
the module is 4.5.x. Right now it runs on whatever database you want,
I am finishing up the installer to work the same way.

> * How big a learning curve do you see learning Mambo? We talking days or
> weeks.. for an experience PHP developer.

Last week a fellow walked up to me at TGIFridays and asked a couple
questions. Come to find out he doesn't program at all, he basically
takes mambo and installs a bunch of goodies and he is done. So if a
non-programmer can use Mambo, a geek should be able to get productive
too ;-)

http://help.mamboserver.com/ has a couple component and module
tutorials as well as the API. That in itself should get you going, but
I am a learner by doing and suggest you jump in and start breaking
things to learn the fastest.

> * For what type of applications do you think it's best suited and least
> suited?

Great for corporate sites, business sites, commerce sites, and online
publications. It is not especially suited for community sites at the
moment, but that weakness is being taken care of rapidly.

Right now Mambo is not really suited for blogging, but we are about to
release a GPL blogging component that is really crazy. After that
point, then there is really very little that Mambo cannot do, and do
well.

> I have seem some of the mambo sites users have done and it seemed a pretty
> wide spectrum.

>From Mitsubishi to Michael Jackson, Mambo is in use everywhere. I've
seen sites with the stock template barely modified, and others (like
Porsche) where the whole HTML front end has been ripped out and
replaced with flash.

Like my story above, if someone pays you $x to deliver a site, you can
start at 0% done, or 80-90% done. Choose wisely! ;-)

--
Mitch Pirtle
Mambo Core Developer