[mambo] Re: NYPHP February Mambo Presentation

Graham Spice graham at nuthinwerked.com
Tue Mar 22 15:07:37 EST 2005

Nice slides, Mitch! I gave a presentation to the Nashville PHP User
Group (NPHUG) this month about Mambo! Looks like we're on the same page
down here in the South. My presentation was video-taped and will be
available soon on our site (http://www.phpusers.net) to bore you with. ;)

I usually give seminars to existing users showing them how to use their
new website. The audience of the NPHUG presentation was obviously more
technically inclined and I attempted to expose the power under the hood
of Mambo as a result. I gave out a printed handout that contained a few
of the new docs released: Core Database Tables, Index Flowchart for
4.5.2, and two other pages from the manual with general ACL info. I also
handed out a CD containing user and developer tutorials as well as a
code section with the latest version of Mambo and popular addons.

We initially spent time with the two new documents in the handout,
answering any questions that came up along the way. Everyone seemed to
like this "from the insides out" approach and these new docs were a BIG
help in explaining the details. As I mentioned, I usually focus on the
end user in these presentations so I was a little out of my element but
did fine with the help of these new materials.

Once we got through the handout items we were going to turn to a
real-world example but our Internet connection didn't work...so I
improvised a bit and walked them through a few of the tutorials that I
had on the handout CD.  I will forward the link to my archived
presentation when it is available.

My goal for the presentation was to educate our local PHP users in the
ways of Mambo so that they might use it in future projects or utilize
some of the ideas/techniques used by Mambo to build their own customized
CMSs. Everyone had lots of questions about module positions, menu items,
mambots, etc. I tried to answer them as well as I could. It appeared
that everyone left a little sleepier and more aware of how Mambo worked
so I guess it was a success. ;)

Cheers-
Graham Spice

NPHUG Hostmaster and Sponsor: http://www.phpusers.net