[joomla] adding rating system

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 23:18:26 EST 2006

On 12/25/06, rostam shahname <rostamepython at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to add a rating system to the website I created with Joomla, but I am
> not too familiar with Joomla package. I did look at the Rating in the Beta
> 1.5 but I want something slightly different. So I have two questions:
>
> 1. If we how a rating in place for content item (for instance, we have a
> field in the jos_content table called 'rating'), how easy it is to create a
> separate page that publishes some of the (say 10 items) content sorted by
> the 'rating'.
>
> 2. Now, in order to provide a user interface for rating, I'd like to add a
> flash component (that takes user_id and message/content Id as parameters)
> before each content item? How can I achieve this. Can I use Joomla's nice
> User Interface/Control Panel for admin to help add this component. Or I need
> to hack the Code?
> [Once done, I can provide the component/Flash component to Joomla people if
> they reckoned useful]

Hey Rostam,

I'm surprised that you cannot find an existing extension in the
extensions directory that would do this for you.

As I've done nothing but live and breathe 1.5 since it was mambo 2000
(giggle) I can honestly say it would take a bit for me to remember how
to implement this in the 1.0 codebase.

Again though, I really think you should check the extensions directory
first, chances are your answer is already there.

-- Mitch