[joomla] Embed PHP in Joomla's HTML?

David A. Roth rothmail at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 01:55:00 EDT 2007

I am converting an HTML based web site to Joomla 1.5RC1. In the body
of the HTML, it has about 10 lines of PHP code which grabs a number
from another web site so it can display this number in the middle of
a sentence. Something like, "...with the current member now at 810
members...". The number 810 is grabbed from an external web site
which gets updated when the number of members increases or decreases.

OK, I thought about how this might be done. One was to write a Joomla
Module to do the PHP, but didn't want to deal with the formatting of
the rest of the article to make it look like a natural one that
Joomla does so well.

The other idea, is that I went to Edit the article and select for it
to display HTML. I then inserted the PHP code such as:
<?PHP

php code goes here
?>

I saved that and proceeded to reload the page in Joomla and no output
was generated from the PHP code. I returned to the article, had it
display HTML once again, and my PHP I included was gone.
Now I never did this before in Joomla 1.x, so I don't know if insert
PHP is supported in this manner or not.

Q: Can PHP be embedded into the body of text in Joomla as I described
above to carry out its task?

Q: Should I be forced to write a module and include the whole article
inside the module just to do the PHP?

Q: Is there a more clever Joomla-like way to accomplish this in the
manner similar to how mosimage (jpgs) are inserted into the body of
text, but executed a PHP script?

Q: And what of Timmy, trapped in the well with Lassie distracted by a
ripped box of vanilla flavored Frosty Paws®  that fell off the truck?
When will help ever arrive? :-)

Thanks in advance,

David Roth
rothmail at comcast.net