[joomla] Forum email notifications -- hosting limits on emails

Gary Mort bz-gmort at beezifies.com
Sun Dec 9 22:03:17 EST 2007

Donna Marie Vincent wrote:
> What I'm wondering is, can you run a community website on a shared
> hosting account, with a forum, PM system with email notifications, the
> usual admin notifications (acct signup, lost password, etc.) contact
> forms, etc.
>
> Even if you only have a few hundred members, all these various email
> notifications can add up.

Well, the only limit I really see there is the 200 per hour.  The 1 per
6 seconds was for mailling lists, which PM notifications are not.

I've honestly never heard of such low limits.

One option is to switch from using sendmail/local email to SMTP
authenticated mail(I beleive Joomla supports this) and use a Virtual
Private Server to filter all your outgoing email through.  For 20$ a
month you could setup a dedicated server just for email traffic and tune
the heck out of it.

Every now and then I consider setting one up mainly for incoming to run
Maia or some other spamcatcher, but it works for outgoing as well.