[joomla] Joomla's capacity for number of registered and simultaneous users?

David A. Roth rothmail at comcast.net
Sun May 20 02:31:22 EDT 2007

A friend of mine who is a webmaster wants to use Joomla to serve his
membership of a not-for-profit trade organization. He had some
questions about Joomla, which I wasn't able to readily produce metrics
to properly answer him and ease his concerns. His main concerns were
about capacity. While I had a feeling Joomla would be able to handle
all his needs, I want to pass along some numbers to back up my feeling.

Q: What is Joomla's capacity for the number of registered users? Is
this limited by the hardware resources, or is there a limit that at
some point either Joomla using MySQL can't handle it, or performance
greatly suffers? What might be that limit? A 100k? A million? A
billion? Limited by available disk space on device?

Q: What is Joomla's capacity to handle simultaneous users, or is this
limited by the hardware/OS resources?

It would also help to have some URLs of high traffic Joomla web sites
to pass along to him as an example.

Thanks!

David Roth
rothmail at comcast.net