[joomla] Template install issues

bz-gmort at beezifies.com bz-gmort at beezifies.com
Sun Nov 11 06:22:47 EST 2007

masimko at optonline.net wrote:
> I'm having a hard time installing any templates that I have downloaded
> so far. I'm thinking it is a permission problem. I'm using a laptop with
> Ubuntu and accessing joomla in a subdirectory of the web root directory.
>
> It appears that all directories are owned by root:root under the web
> root directory. Inside the joomla directory, all ownership is 1010:1010.
>
> I can't find that in my /etc/group file. So, I think that I should chown
> root:root -r * in th /var/www/apache2/joomla directory.
>
> Any opinions about this?

Look for the httpd.conf or apache.conf file

/var/www/apache2/joomla seems like an odd directory structure to me, are
you sure it's not /var/apache2/www/joomla?

In any case, that aside, according to this site:
http://www.control-escape.com/web/configuring-apache2-debian.html

The most likely place for your apache config file is:
/etc/apache2/

And the most likely name is apache2.conf

So, find that config file and read it in whateever your favorite manner
is(more, less, cat, print, vi, vim, kedit, whatever)

Look for 2 lines in the file:
User unix-userid
and
Group unix-groupid

Generally, I've found them to be:
User apache
Group apache

But it could be different in your case.

That is the userid and group that apache is running as, so if your going
to chown files(and chgrp for that manner) change them to whatever the
user and group directives are set to.