[joomla] Need Joomla 1.5 book recommendation for Webmasters

David A. Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 19:38:43 EST 2008

Now I read this. :-)

To follow-up my own postings. I'm like most of us, I tell people about
Joomla and then would like to turn over good resources to them so they can
get going on their own. I decided to explore two Joomla books for
recommendations to Webmasters. One is the Visual Quickstart Guide Joomla! by
Marni Derr and Tanya Symes published by Peachpit, and the second one is
Joomla! A User's Guide by Barrie M. North published by Prentice Hall. Both
of these books arrived today so I've not been able to examine them closely
yet, but I did skim through them. North's book in Chapter 11 titled,
"Creating a Restaurant Site for Joomla!" looks like an excellent guide for a
Webmaster. I also like the areas called "The Least You Need to Know" which
is exactly what a Webmaster is looking for. Before anyone gets huffy about
the job title of Webmaster, I am referring to those who are not programmer
types but have responsibility to control content on a web site. The Visual
Quickstart Guide Joomla! is what the name implies as the rest of the Visual
Quickstart series where there are many screen shots with text next to them
briefly explaining each item such as a parameter.

I'm going to turn these two books over to a Webmaster and see how they do
and what is found to be most useful. It might be the combination of these
two books or merely specific sections from each.  I've professionally
enjoyed the work of Barrie North and dig his newsletters and web site.
However, I am looking for Joomla resources for Webmasters as I defined above
since like all of us I want to see Joomla continue to grow and one way is
for the Webmasters to be sold on it. I had a Webmaster search Amazon.com and
come up with these two books independently of my influence.

David Roth