[joomla] Two Joomla sites on one hosting package?

David A. Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 09:10:04 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Leam Hall <leam at reuel.net> wrote:

> Okay, I'm in the same straits as the economy. However, I want to have
> two Joomla based sites on the same hosting package. The sites will not
> be large but should be totally separate from a web client view.
>
> Is the possible? Possible but difficult? Never been done before but
> can't say why not? Already done the world over?
>
> I seem to be the early bird sans worm on #joomla...
>
> Leam

Joomla is self-contained within the directory it is installed. The only
external requirement is the MySQL database which simply needs to have a
different name for each Joomla installation to keep them totally separate.
On a web hosting service which allows virtual domain hosting, you can have
as many Joomla web sites each with its own domain as allowed. If you must
only have one domain, Joomla can be installed totally separate and
self-contained in multiple directories.  For example:

www.example.com/website1 (website1 would be a directory that the first
installation of Joomla is installed.)
www.example.com/website2 (website2 would be a directory that the second
installation of Joomla is installed.)

I hope you find this useful and this answers your question.

David Roth