[joomla] Joomla for Entrepreneurs

Hans C. Kaspersetz hans at cyberxdesigns.com
Tue Jul 14 08:53:31 EDT 2009

Mitch,

I saw your tweet and I have been thinking about it for a couple of days.
Over the last 5 years we have been approached to build websites for
start-ups many times.  Usually, the entrepreneur has an idea for a business
online and those ideas come in a few general forms:

1. They want to build content and generate advertising revenue.
2. They want to build a community and generate advertising revenue.
3. They want to build a custom application and generate subscription revenue
or licensing revenue.

Typically, their ideas are not that well formed and they do not have ANY
experience building/running an online business.  Entrepreneurs by their
nature are idea people or visionaries not managers or technicians, thank you
Michael Gerber.  So, the planning and development process becomes extremely
iterative as they seek out their path and the truth about their business.
They lurch from idea to idea as their vision comes to life.  They don't have
much experience so they don't really anticipate all the nuts and bolts that
need to be built into the site.

The other truth about entrepreneurs, who find us, is they have NO MONEY.  Or
they are unwilling to spend a lot of money to test their idea out.  So
version one of their idea needs to be boot strapped with open source
technology.  Technology in which most of the fundamental requirements are
already implemented.  By boot strapping with open source technology, we can
focus on building out just their idea, not all the foundational stuff like
ACL and content management.

To serve this type of customer, we have found that deploying a CMS or an
application framework, like Joomla! is the most productive and delivers the
fastest results.  Joomla! handles many of the core requirements out of the
box.  We just build components and modules to implement the idea.  Granted
sometimes we have to modify the core to meet specific needs, however
generally we do not.

The question I have for you is, who is the target of your talk?  Is it
Joomla! developers who have to deal with entrepreneurs?  Or is it the
entrepreneurs?  In both cases, I think there is a great talk to be found in
my observations above.  How can Joomla! developers better meet the needs of
entrepreneurs and make more money?  On the flip side, how can entrepreneurs
be more educated about development using an open source platform like
Joomla! and how can that boot strap their business?  Is your talk a business
talk or a technology talk?

Answer some of those questions and I think we have the opportunity at some
great dialog!

Hans

--
Hans C. Kaspersetz
Cyber X Designs, LLC

Office: 201-558-7929

hans at cyberxdesigns.com
http://www.cyberxdesigns.com
Cyber X Designs, P.O. BOX 3008, Hoboken, NJ 07030
United States

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying
of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to
the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by
mistake, please delete it from your system immediately and notify
info at cyberxdesigns.com.