[joomla] Non profit?

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 06:46:53 EST 2009

The main reason I bring it up is since I'm working with my kids school -
http://www.hudsonvalleyschool.org[they are a non profit... profit, HAH,
we're lucky not to have a deficet! ] and integrating some services with
Joomla for them.

For example, Google will provide non profits with free use of their Google
apps - which includes the API.  One of those apps is email, so you can give
people the same function of gmail but with your own domain[so you can have
members.mydomain.com and board.mydomain.com and give people addresses in
there as appropriate].  Google actually provides that for free anyway to
small groups, but then you have to use their fitzy interface to add/remove
accounts/addresses.

With the API, I am going to setup a plugin for Community builder, so we can
have a "user type" field of checkboxes, with "member", "staff", and
"student" as checkboxes[ie a member can also be staff].  When the user is
saved, a little program can check for which of those fields are active and
go create/remove gmail email accounts for that person in the appropriate
domains.

That way they don't need to learn an interface, they can just click a
checkbox and be done.

But the first step for other groups for something like this would be
registration....and for that someone has to be willing to volunteer their
unpaid time to work on both determining what ongoing time commitments are
required, but what initial time and money requirements are needed.

As a relative outsider who comes in at most once a month, somewhat
hypocritically I'm not volunteering my time(outside of saying if you do do
the paperwork, I can certainly do the google app signup and give you the
code to integrate when I'm finished at the school), just throwing the idea
out there.