[joomla] Vent: extensions directory

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:07:24 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a personal vent, I hate the new policy of the extensions directory.
>
> I wrote a short little plugin and decided since the number of lines of code
> were soooo small, the proper license for it was "Public Domain".  I had to
> "wrap" my public domain plugin in a GPL license to publish it there.
>
> While I understand the desire to remove the commercial and other Open Source
> licenses from the directory, the pure GPL policy is annoying.

Amen, brother! That's one of the things I said when I heard about the
new direction the JED was taking. FIRST, excluding GPL-incompatible
extensions simply prods the community to come up with their own JED
that is useful to everyone, not just a select group; and SECOND, by
requiring GPL-only, the project shut their eyes and plugged their ears
to many, many other FOSS licenses that are totally compatible with the
GPL.

-- Mitch