[joomla] Adding extensions and security (Gary Mort)(Stephen Britton)

William Bly bbly1956 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 23:07:31 EDT 2010

Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:39:38 -0400
From: Stephen Britton <steve at sbritton.com>
To: "NYPHP SIG: Joomla" <joomla at lists.nyphp.org>
Subject: Re: [joomla] Adding extensions and security

Hi William,

I have been working with Joomla since late 2006 and agree that it is
probably the best for your purpose. If you want to develop a
community, there are several good extensions available. I like
Jomsocial, but it depends on the scope of your project.

Your plan calls for multiple contributors and Joomla's admin
structure, based on the newspaper editorial model, with Registered
Users, Authors, Editors and Administrators, is well suited for this
project.

I have done projects with Drupal, geared more towards coders with
extensive its database hooks, but not as user-friendly with a steep
learning curve, and WordPress, which is easy to extend and works fine
for blogs, but doesn't support the hierarchy framework that your
project requires.

It sounds like you have already done a lot of research on Joomla. Like
most big projects, it is best to have a good idea of what the audience
wants and how the contributors work before coming up with a design.

If you would like to talk more, I can make some time next week for
lunch. (I am not expecting much. A hot dog, a bottle of Poland Spring,
and a park bench in the shade is fine with me.)

You should also be aware that there is a very friendly Joomla user
group in New York. The next meeting should be next Thursday. You might
want to attend to meet other Joomla developers.

Let me know if you would like to meet and which day is good for you.

All the best,

Steve

Hi Steve -

I sent you an e-mail, any day next week will be great. We have only begun
with this so any advice moving forward will be most appreciated. Lunch here
will be easy plenty of options. Our office Two UN Plaza E44th near 1st Ave.

cell 919-434-7927
office 212-963-2570
bly at un.org

Looking forward to meeting with you. - Bill

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:48:10 -0400
> From: Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com>
> To: joomla at lists.nyphp.org
> Subject: Re: [joomla] Adding extensions and security
>
> On 8/6/2010 1:29 AM, William Bly wrote:
>
>  > I think this is the first site here using a CMS.
>  >Only recently there have been evaluations here using PHP based
>  > Open source platforms and the results were in favor of WordPress and
> Drupal.
>
> I know when we first started the Joomla NYC group, which meets every
> month at Lincoln Center currently, one of the members there worked at
> the U.N. and had deployed Joomla internally.

Hi Gary

Thanks for the feedback I would certainly like to meet them especially if
they are still working at the UN. I am new here.

> That said, I will say that the most important factor to me in choosing
> between Joomla and Drupal would be to evaluate what is already being
> used internally and to go with the CMS being used internally.

There is no Open source being used or CMS similar as far as I know.

>  From an end user point of view, Drupal is laid out in an easier to pick
> up on and use manner than Joomla[end user being your content editors and
> publishers].  From a configuration point of view, you will likely be
> able to get Joomla up to speed and running much more quickly than Drupal.
>

> > I hope I am not breaking any protocols with my question as I lurk more
> > than post.
> >
> > A week ago I was handed a project at work (United Nations Division for
> > Sustainable Development) so I put together a Joomla site based on
> > their concept. The site has been well received with new request and my
> > own concerns.
> >
> >     * Adding extensions, community, ACL, forms, surveys, blogs
> >

> I recently posted my own comparison on these items.  You can find the
> same modules or components for both
> CMS's....  Joomla will be much easier and faster to setup and configure,
> with less need for custom programming.  Drupal will take longer but for
> some of the more extreme intricacies will actually be faster to custom
> code.

I read your  post it was helpful. I went with Joomla having used it for a
while since 2006. We were able to go live quickly last week and the site has
already been noted
http://climate-l.org/2010/08/06/uncsd-2012-website-launched/

> >     * Access to documents and multiple languages
> >

> Joomla seems to have the edge here....being built with multiple
> languages in mind.  Though that may just be because I have yet to look
> extremely deepling into Drupal's language capabilities.
>
> >     * Security
> >     * Linking to static sites and converting a large static site to a CMS
> >

> Both Drupal and Joomla have import programs.  Also interestingly, if
> your running on Apache the default htaccess files, designed primarily
> for SEF links, have an added interesting component.  Both of them are
> designed to check for the existance of a file FIRST and use that, then
> if not found, redirect the connection to the CMS.
>
> So, for example, say your structure is:
>
> www/index.php <-- CMS entry point
> www/articles/aboutus.html
> www/articles/contactnumbers.html
>
> Now, if someone is to try to go to:
> http://www.mydomain.com/articles/aboutus.html they will be given the
> aboutus.html file
> if they went to
> http://www.mydomain.com/articles/about.html, since no about.html file
> exists, instead the index.php program is executed
>

> So in the end, it is more about what is the best tool for your team, as
> either tool works.  My tendency is to use what others are using
> successfully if there is such deployed internally rather than create
> competing systems....that way internally it is easier to transfer skills.

Well according to those I am working with, we are breaking ground using a
CMS like this. I know there are many features that may suit our needs. I
offered a fast track solution that can be customized moving forward. I also
mentioned a terrific community that shares as is my experience attending
events and these replies.  - thanks   - Bill