[joomla] Server2Go, GONE! How about XAMMP?

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:32:55 EST 2010

This is actually solid development practice, something I've been doing
for years, and it's the way we managed development of Joomla (and
Mambo before it). If Git is too modern for you and you just gotta
stick with subversion, you can try one of these:

* http://beanstalkapp.com/
* http://unfuddle.com/

If you develop websites for a living and don't use some sort of source
code revision control, you're making a HUGE mistake.

I setup subversion to run on a server - usually at ServerBeach - and
also provision that server with automated backups. I then checkout my
project on the local machine (laptop) where I do development. Whenever
I finish something, I simply commit, and that sends the new code up to
the subversion repository on the server, which in turn gets backed up.
I have a local external drive that I use for TimeMachine, more than
anything as a precaution in case my laptop gets too much coffee or
falls down the stairs late at night.

In the end, the likelihood of the following all happening at the exact
same time is very close to absolute zero:

* external drive fail
* laptop fail
* server fail
* datacenter backup systems fail

And after some thought, if all these things failed at the same time
then I probably got bigger problems than some stupid website.

-- Mitch