[joomla] Server2Go, GONE! How about XAMMP?

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 20:11:18 EST 2010

> Sounds like the digital version of turducken to me!
>
> Doesn't Mac have apache/php/mysql? If not, why not just run a LAMP
> server?

I run MAMP Pro......  why MAMP instead of just running my own?

Because it makes it very very easy to add new virtual hosts...sure I CAN
edit the config files, but for 50 bucks I save myself a few hours of
remembering each time.

I also do it a bit...'weirdly'?

For mydomain.com I have the following subdomains now setup:

*.site.mydomain.com
*.test.mydomain.com
*.dev.mydomain.com

These are wildcard entrees up on my DNS provider[DNS Made Easy] - they match
ANY domains under those subdomains.

both site and test point to my hosting provider's ip address.

all devs point to 127.0.0.1

So, now when I want to do development, I add a virtual host to my local
system, somewebsite.dev.mydomain.com
On my own webserver, I also add somewebsite.test.mydomain.com AND
somewebsite.site.mydomain.com

So now, any changes on my local system can be tested and played with
there[and I can even setup a local hosts file for offline testing].

Then I push changes up to dev when I'm ready to test there, and site for the
client to be able to look at.

Everything is under MY control.

Ready to deploy?  Just joomlapack site and then restore.

As for version control...shamed to admit I just haven't used it.  Finally
getting that in sync and am moving towards Bazaar.  It seems to have all the
benefits of git without the weird structure enforced on you based on
assuming you are developing an operating system.