[joomla] joomla Digest, Vol 38, Issue 18

Mark Simko masimko at verizon.net
Wed Feb 17 14:08:02 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 12:00 -0500, joomla-request at lists.nyphp.org wrote:
> I just had a friend give me a Gateway laptop to fix ..
> Dead as a link to CB Simulator on Compuserve
> No power no light no nothing power supply is OK

I've seen on dell laptops, battery connected to motherboard, under the
keyboard. That goes bad and laptop won't start. sometimes remove them
and laptop will work again, but not keep state information. Othertimes
need to replace that battery (not really a cmos battery)

> What to do now  ? swap hard drive  to know good machine ..
> Drat dreaded 000000000007x error. cause the drivers etc are not even
> close

Get a usb to ide adapter to copy off the data. they are only about $15
or so.

> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html  get a knoppix
> live boot CD
>
> You could boot from flash also ..
>
> attach flash drive
>
> Boot live CD select 12
> Nice gui interface ( a tad clunky at times ) turn off screensaver.
> start
> system tools
> PCMan File Manager  will give you a file manager which you can move
> the files to the flash drive.
> Or you can map to a network share etc..

All workable, but just as easy to remove the drive from the laptop,
attach a ide / usb adapter, and copy off the data that way.

> Maybe it a good time to make a txt file with the arcane paths to your
> stuff and put it in the C drive makes it easier to find when under
> fire  LOL
>
> This is for windows I am sure a Mac is very close to the same except
> for different file paths.
>
> Oh if the drive is dead as in physically this will not work , but its
> worth a try..
>
> oz

Best regards,
Mark