[joomla] Speaking of GPL

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 20:30:35 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Gary Mort <garyamort at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone else find it......incomprehensible how the Joomla Core team
> interprets this?
> When you receive a full copy of Joomla, within that file are image files for
> the Joomla logo as well as many multiple references to Joomla!.
> The GPL license insists that it applies to every item in that zipfile.  Not
> just code.
> Therefore technically, Open Source Matters is blatantly violating the GPL by
> including trademarked images and names in a zipfile with GPL items.
> Every now and then when I feel snarky, I feel like doing something with the
> Joomla Logo and challenging them to finally come clean and settle the issue
> in a court of law....instead of using their "we're GPL but we're not GPL"
> contortions.

I'll weigh in on this one as I'm not exactly famous for not having an
opinion. (cough)

Trademark and copyright simply means OSM owns the name and logo. GPL
however is a software license, which simply means you can do whatever
you want with said software, as long as you comply with the GPL.

Where is there a conflict between trademark and license regarding
Joomla? Pretty sure naming the software joomla and shipping it with a
GPL license doesn't mean you can apply the GPL to the copyright or
trademark.

-- Mitch