[joomla] LAMP server setup

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 16:26:18 EST 2010

Generally, I don't have a choice of webhosts, it's whatever the client has
already signed up for...so it goes.

But because of that, and my rusty LAMP server skills, I'm a little behind on
"ideals".

So...presuming you get to control the server environment, and we're using
Linux.  What is the ideal way to configure your server so that:
The web server can read/write/edit files for the virtual host joomla is
being installed on
Multiple users can ssh/ftp to the server and read/write/edit files[including
ones created by each other and the webserver] for that virtual host[and can
edit any files the web server created]

AND
you can have a second virtual host that the web server can read/write/edit
files in and other users can as well but programs in the first virtual host
can't be run by the server and edit files in the second one.

The first part tends to be easy to setup, but since it's always either been
no decision, or a dedicated host where all users can edit the files, I'm
unsure how one goes about that.