[joomla] Questions about best practices for registered users, events and downloads

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 18:02:40 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Herb Tucker <htucker at covenanttek.com> wrote:

> Next, I need some guidance about how you would solve this design problem;
> what extensions you would use, etc.
> I have a site that will provide webinars, seminars, a newsletter and
> document downloads. I need a way to manage user registrations for events,
> downloads and the newsletter that will also allow registered users to
> manage
> their own profiles. I would prefer the solution use the Joomla users DB
> rather than proprietary tables.
> I've looked at RSEvents, Jevents, Events Registration Pro,

I have not used event components for a while, and only been troubleshooting
others.  Still, I have not liked anything I've seen. A few years ago I
loooved GigCalendar.  It looks like there is a version for 1.5/1.6 in
progress, http://gigcalendar.net/ so maybe give the alpha a try?

> phpList and
> JDownloads and I'm having a hard time coming to a conclusion about which if
> any of these extensions will really do all that I want them to do (well,
> I'm
> fairly certain I'll be using phpList for the newsletter).

My primary employment is email deliver-ability for fashion ezines, as such
my professional advice is as follows:
Use an ESP[email service provider] you don't want to try to troubleshoot
this yourself.  I recommend Mail Chimp [my affiliate link to them is
http://eepurl.com/hBWI ]

Why Mailchimp:
I like their web page
They help you set things up
They provide you with a bunch of templates to play with so you don't need to
design your own html newsletter from scratch[no, your nice CSS/HTML site
will not work well in email].
They will do some translation of your advanced CSS/HTML webpage and convert
it to the bad old days of HTML coding for email...automatically.
You can get a free account and send up to 500 messages a month[but must
include your affiliate link somewhere on the newsletter for a free account]
I like their webpage
I like their attitude
They will allow you to bring your pre-existing list form another service
that you double dog swear are all valid, double opt ins[unlike other
companies which make you make subscribers re-subscribe.]  Of course, if you
lied they will find out when the spam complaints come in and cancel your
account, so don't lie.

However, PHPList is a good solution too.  And if you are going to roll it
yourself, here is my advice:
Sign up for Google Apps for busines
Setup Google's email service for business as news.mydomain.com [where
mydomain.com is your domain]
Use news.mydomain.com for sending your newsletters, and just your
newsletters
Pick up a copy of Dioscouri's phplist sync tool,
http://www.dioscouri.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=84&Itemid=183

Of course, if your using one Dioscouri product, than you might as well use
their download management product as well. :-)

-Gary

> Any suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
> Cheers!
> Herb
>
> Herbert M. Tucker
> Principal
> Covenant Technical Services, Inc.
> P: 732-497-0326
> C: 848-218-9172
> F: 732-497-0326
> E: htucker at covenanttek.com
> W: www.covenanttek.com

----
Hudson Valley Sudbury School
What GPL is for application users
Our school is for students
Help your children grow, change, and learn
Let your child direct, control, amend
Check out http://www.sudburyschool.org