[joomla] Gawd! I hate Drupal!!!

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 12:16:48 EDT 2010

On 6/25/2010 10:10 AM, Paul Bouzakis wrote:
> I am new to Joomla as I am still learning the ins and out of the
> cms/framework, but one thing I do know is that we should not have to
> reinvent the wheel.
> We should be able to add vendor libraries into Joomla like Zend
> Framework or Symfony Components.
> In this example you could use the Zend_Mail class which has a similar
> interface to the one you describe.

Zend_Mail is setup deal with email.  The amount of additional
functionality one would have to add to handle Twitter, IM, SMS, and MMS
would, in the end, yield something that is less modular, in my opinion.

One could use Zend_Mail as a library for sending SMTP mail through the
messenger, but it would not be conducive for this goal.

[One thing to deal with for SMS is that you actually need to do it as
two+ modules, not one.  One module is the basic SMS function which pulls
the message, checks the users preferences, and then formats the message
for sedning.  The second module for actually sending is API specific to
how one chooses to send SMS messages, email gateways, Clickatel, Club
Texting, one of the free SMS services - in which case you may need to
truncate more text! - Google voice, Skype, etc]

Now, on the not re-inventing the wheel front, one thing to do would be
to include OpenInviter:
http://openinviter.com

Open Inviter gives you an API interface for sending messages through
many different services, including Facebook.  It also gives you the
ability to capture user credentials for the sender, so instead of having
a system where you send a FTAF to a friend[ie the message comes from:
"System Notice" system at mysite.com and says something like
:garyamort at mydomain.com thought you might be interested in.....] it
instead will come from garyamort at mydomain.com or from garyamort's
facebook account.]

And yes, you can forge the from address to make it appear as if it comes
from the sender, but that runs into a lot of anti spam checker issues
where now email is coming from the mysite.com mail server from
garyamort at mydomain.com - but only mydomain.com is authorized via SPF and
DKIM to send email for it, so it gets bounced as spam].

But again, Drupal already has most of this so for my own use, I'll just
use Drupal.

It would be easy enough to port to Joomla....but since it is an
interface, not component, it would really be a waste of time to do so
unless there were others who wanted it for their own apps.