[joomla] Help - shared user account over 3 sites

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 07:07:26 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Kimberly Ann Kubalek
<kimberly at kubalek.com>wrote:

> Hey, Folks,
>
> Question - I'm working on a project with a company who has three joomla
> websites all on the same server with separate database names in one MySQL
> folder. I need all of the sites to use the same user database (all three
> sites to use the same user/login). Any ideas of a mechanism to do that?

The simple solution is as follows:

Joomlapack all 3 sites.

Now create 3 virtual hosts:
j1.mydomain.com, j2.mydomain.com, j3.mydomain.com

Create 1 database: joomla_all

Restore each joomlapack into a corresponding domain, j1, j2, or j3

Override the usual jos table prefix with j1, j2, and j3 as appropriate

Pick 1 set of user tables to be the "master" and rename them to jos_XXX

Drop the other 2 sets of user tables.

Create 3 sets of views, for update, on the jos_XXX user tables as j1, j2,
and j3

Done, easy peasy lemon squeezy.