[joomla] Why NOT use the custom HTML module?

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 18:19:56 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Herb Tucker <htucker at covenanttek.com>wrote:

> Hi Gary,
> I'm not able to make it to the meeting but I would very much like to know
> why using the custom HTML module is a bad idea and what you're alternative
> is.

The short answer is that you can do everything you do with a custom html
module by creating a content item and using the ultimate content display
module to display it.

Plus as an added bonus, now your client can actually change and update it
without having to know how Joomla works.

Note: I also discourage the use of collapsible module positions in the
template, as this will affect the ability to cache content from those pages.

Collapsible module positions and custom html are good tools for rapid
prototyping/changing while designing the website.

Once the design is finalized, you can create multiple templates without
collapsible modules and replace all that custom html modules with the
ultimate content display module[or if it is a design element and not
content, place the design into a custom template]