[joomla] Team Development

Paul Bouzakis nyphp at zooluserver.com
Thu Sep 2 09:14:06 EDT 2010

  What are some best practices building a Joomla site with a team.

I am currently joining a company where they currently are editing code
on the live servers.   This is not a good situation, and I have heard of
some disaster stories in the company where people were overwriting their
work, and by mistake deleting/moving files.

I would love to get a development environment setup including
incorporating SVN.  I am used to developing custom php web applications,
where all configuration and code are in files.  With Joomla, some
configuration (usually extensions) are in the DB.

I have some ideas, but they require the developer to run scripts.  Some
of the people tweaking the code are really just front end designers,
they need to go in and update the css, and an image, etc.

What is the best way to manage a team of designers and developers to
develop, build and deploy a Joomla site.  I really can not find any good
resources online.

Cheers,
Paul