[joomla] Joomla Team Development

Herb Tucker htucker at covenanttek.com
Thu Sep 2 10:54:58 EDT 2010

Hi Paul,
Here are some links I ferreted out when setting up Subversion (SVN) for my
development process.

http://f6design.com/journal/2009/12/23/subversion-for-web-development-part-1
/
http://www.theartofjoomla.com/home/9-developer/13-setting-up-joomla-sites-wi
th-svn.html
http://search.cpan.org/~jpeacock/SVN-Notify-Mirror-0.038/lib/SVN/Notify/Mirr
or/SSH.pm
http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2006/02/07/using-svn-for-web-development/
http://gup.sonhuynh.net/2010/01/24/how-to-use-subversion-post-commit-hook-to
-automatically-update-your-web-site/
http://blog.circlesixdesign.com/2007/04/10/beginning-svn-journey/
http://www.svnforum.org/

I have a local dev server and then setup  a remote test server that has the
same environment as the production site.
I'm not using SCM on all the files in Joomla, only the ones that I'm working
on. This does require a little more tracking effort on my part and I would
like to version the entire installation but every time I've attempted to
"Add" and entire Joomla install SVN would throw errors.
I played around some with Bazaar and Mercurial but after spending days
wading through tons of info and doing as much testing as I could I had to
get at least some versioning system running for my projects and I settled on
Subversion (SVN) as it's been the easiest to grok. I use TortoiseSVN which
is a GUI for the SVN executable.
I'm hosting my repositories for free at https://projectlocker.com/  There
are limitations for the free account (5 users, 500MB storage all
repositories) and with three projects under SVN I'm approaching the size
limits. Their for fee services are very affordable and they also host Git
repositories as well.

Cheers!

Herb

Herbert M. Tucker