[joomla] Joomla Newbie

Mark Simko masimko at verizon.net
Thu Sep 2 15:34:44 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 12:00 -0400, joomla-request at lists.nyphp.org wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:43:54 -0400
> From: Christian Eckels <cfeckels at gmail.com>
> To: joomla at lists.nyphp.org
> Subject: [joomla] Joomla Newbie
>
> Hi all -
>
> What is a good online resource that can address newbie problems?  I'm
> building a site using various modules, (menus, image sliders, etc).
> I'd
> like that when the user clicks on an option from a drop down menu, the
> selected article is slightly redesigned.  (Specifically colors,
> backgrounds,
> icon specific to that selected article..  The actual structure from
> the main
> page does not change).
>
> Thanks! Looking forward to replies...

We had a great presentation last month at our Joomla user group meeting
on an extension that does some fantastic things with the template, and
from your description, I think this would be what you are looking for. I
just wrote up the meeting minutes and posted them to the site:
http://joomlanyc.org/ , last night. The extension is called Meta
Template Pro, and the website is: http://www.metamodpro.com . You can
find out some info from the meeting minutes, and also a link to the
developer's website.

User group mailing lists, and list archives are good for finding answers
to your questions. For a newbie, I recommend http://iteachme.com for
some good articles and videos. You can also find some good tutorials
here: http://www.joomlashack.com/tutorials