[joomla] Reminder: Joomla NYC User Group to meet on Thursday

Stephen Britton sbritton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 22:30:55 EDT 2011

Hi Gang,

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

I want to remind everyone that at 6:30 PM on Thursday, August 11th, the
monthly Joomla NYC User Group meeting will take place at our new meeting
room at Lincoln Center, 146 West 65th Street. (For detailed directions,
visit www.joomlanyc.org )

Scott Wolpow will discuss wire frames and the best methods to layout
websites before you start building. I will present two Joomla templates -
Construct and LessJoomla - that work with every screen from smart phones to
jumbo television LCDs.

I also have copies of Stephen Burge's new book, Joomla <explained> and Barry
North's Joomla 1.6: A User's Guide.

We also need to remind everyone that Joomla Day Weekend is coming up soon -
October 22 and 23. To take advantage of the $15 per ticket discount, you
must register before Sept. 1. So if you haven't registered yet, think about
doing it soon. For information and registration, visit www.joomladaynyc.com

And if you have registered, you should visit the website because there is
recently updated information about the tracks and speakers.

On other Joomla matters, I recently stumbled across an article, "How
WordPress Beat Joomla" on Weblog Tools Collection, a website devoted to
WordPress. The author, an Australian website designer, doesn't trash Joomla,
but he mentions how WordPress was able to make quick changes that helped
boost its popularity.

I don't completely agree with him, especially the part where bases CMS
popularity on Google searches, but he brings up some interesting points.

http://weblogtoolscollection.com/archives/2011/08/05/how-wordpress-beat-joomla/

Hope to see everyone on Thursday.

All best,

Steve