[joomla] how to mandate module for article views from sidebar "read more" link?

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 21:10:35 EDT 2011

When configuring a module to display on specific pages, the issue is one
of menu's.   Modules are configured for pages by using the menu, a menu
has an "itemid" assigned to it[you can see this in the url when SEF is
not enabled].  Joomla checks the itemid to see what page it is on and
thus displays the modules.

When someone clicks the "read more" link they bypass the menu...if that
specific article is not on the menu's, there is no itemid and thus no
way for Joomla to display the module.

There are a number of ways to do what you want,  in this case it is
fairly easy.  You wish to only display a module if it is not the homepage.

You could create 2 Joomla Templates, one for the front page and one for
everything else[the default].  Publish the module to a module position
which is only on the default template, then assign the front page
template to the homepage[which does have a menu link].

So your normal template would have 2 sidebar position: LeftFrontpage and
LeftDefault stacked on top of each other.  You publish modules that
should not appear on the frontpage to LeftDefault, and modules that go
to each to LeftFrontpage.

You could also have a single template where you check to see if the
program is on the frontpage and if so, don't load the module position
LeftDefault.

What you can't do, out of the box, is assign a /not/ statement...so you
can't say "Publish this module if the page is NOT...."....   which is
why you have to work around that limitation in some way.