[joomla] Captcha - recaptcha image not showing

Stephen Britton sbritton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:01:53 EDT 2012

Hi Janet.

Hope you are having a great summer.

It looks like you are doing everything right. When I use captcha-recaptcha
I just check the box in the Global Configuration panel and turn on the
plug-in with the appropriate public/private keys from the Recaptcha website.

I would check your settings with the ones on Steve Burge's captcha tutorial.
http://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/captcha-joomla/

Also, is this site running on your local PC/Mac using WAMP, MAMP. XAMPP,
etc. or is it on a live site? I have heard that the captcha feature does
not work well on local servers. If possible, try to test your settings on a
live site.

All best,

Steve

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Janet Sullivan <jmsullivan50 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to use captcha-recaptcha on a simple joomla contact form.
> But the captcha code is not showing up.
> Here are my settings:
> The Administration Control Panel (ACP) has the following Captcha settings
> in various locations:
>

>    *Global Configuration:* ACP > Site > Global Configuration > Site tab >
>    Default Captcha: Here there are 2 different options: (1) “- None Selected
>    -” and (2) “Captcha – Recaptcha”
>
>    *Contacts:* ACP > Components > Contacts > Options > Form > Allow
>    Captcha on Contact. Here there are 3 different options: (1) “- Use Default
>    -“, (2) “- None Selected -“ and (3) “Captcha – Recaptcha”.
>
>    *Plug In:* ACP > Extensions > Plug in Manager > Captcha – Recaptcha
>    plug in: Here one needs to enable the plug in and insert their (1) Public
>    Key and (2) Private Key obtained by registering at
>    http://google.com/recaptcha.
>

>    *User Manager: *ACP > Users > User Manager > Options > Component >
>    Captcha: Here there are 3 different options: (1) “- Use Default -“ (2) “-
>    None Selected -“ and (3) “Captcha – Recaptcha”
>

> Currently, I have the following settings applied:
>

>    *Global Configuration:* Captcha – Recaptcha
>    *Contacts:* Use Default
>    *Plug In:* Public and Private Key entered correctly
>    *User Manager: *Use Default
>

> I have also tried the following settings:
>

>    *Global Configuration:* Captcha – Recaptcha
>    *Contacts:* Captcha - Recaptcha
>    *Plug In:* Public and Private Key entered correctly
>    *User Manager: *Captcha - Recaptcha
>

> I have a global key from google  (just acquired it, has not be used on a
> site before)
>
> There is a long discussion here
> ://
> forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=615&t=690921&hilit=recaptcha&start=30abouta catpcha problem and a temporary fix, but
>
> That fix seems to have been made in release 2.5.....(I am using a fresh
> install of 2.5.4)
>

> http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=28075
>
> Any suggestions from the Joomla veterans for this newbie?  Is there a
> better, more reliable captcha plugin that people use?
>
> Janet Sullivan

Stephen Britton
Technology Consultant
sbritton at gmail.com
Twitter: @StephenBritton
ph: 914-661-0040

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." -
George Bernard Shaw