[joomla] Admin template for non-technical users?

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 08:06:11 EDT 2012

I wanted to update everyone on my journey here to accomplish this. The
Mission Control admin template from Rocket Theme looks like the winner. I
was easily able to remove a bunch of stuff from the back-end for the
'newbie' user without having to make any code changes. I also disabled some
modules that cluttered up and could possibly confuse a newbie.

I have one task that remains:

I've been able to remove many things from the webpage for the 'newbie'
user, but the EDIT for the 'newbie' profile still displays and is enabled.
I would like to remove the EDIT option from the web page. I don't want the
'newbie' to change any of the settings for their profile.

How could I best accomplish this? I have looked in the code for the Mission
Control template, and I could put in a check if the user is not Super User
then the EDIT would not appear, but I can't help wondering if there is a
better way or if I have overlooked a way to not display the EDIT option?

I could just assign the custom modified Mission Control template for the
'newbie user' and the default Joomla admin template for the Super User, but
wanted to check on my approach here first. Thanks!

David Roth