[joomla] Modifying a Joomla module, does it have to be re-installed?

David Roth davidalanroth at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:21:55 EDT 2012

I'm modifying a Joomla module's .xml file so it's Description has some
additional information. But I noticed this doesn't get updated in the
Module Manager. Does the module have to be re-installed for this change to
take effect?

Does anyone know how/where the contents of a Joomla module is stored after
installation? Does it grab the .xml file and store it's contents in a MySQL
table? I wondered about this, because I have changed the .xml file before
to add something to the back-end and it's effect was immediately after I
saved the .xml file and doesn't require it be re-installed. I do remember
reading that if you added a file required to the .xml file that you do need
to re-install the module. Thanks!

David Roth