[joomla] Organizational Questions

Gary A. Mort joomla+2012 at gary.mort.net
Thu Sep 27 13:54:12 EDT 2012

     JoomlaDay was a blast, I really enjoyed the sessions and all and
meeting the people.

 As such, it got my mental juices flowing on some projects I've thought
would be cool if they existed, but really need a community umbrella to run
them on....  since the projects all fall under "community outreach" and
Board elections are coming up soon, I was wondering if there is a specific
position for that?  Also I wanted to ask how I go about running for
election?

 I will admit, I haven't made it to enough meetings lately.  This has
nothing to do with the content of the meetings, and more due to distance
and expense.  Until this past year I lived up in Kingston which was simply
too far in general - now that I live in Beacon it's much easier to make the
meetings - I just didn't want to make the financial commitment to get to
them.  So, assuming all goes well, I'm going to make that commitment for
next year and make sure to come.

 One thing I'd like to see is our own user group extensions directory -
where members can post reviews of Joomla extensions they use.  One of my
original goals with the group was to learn what people in NYC were using -
not some incredibly large international extension directory where the only
users might be on another continent!

 Also, one thing that is bumming me is that while I met lots of interesting
people and there were discussions I'd love to follow up on from JoomlaDay -
I can only talk to the fraction I exchanged contact data with.  Online
forums for each of those sessions would be a great way for people to
reconnect and continue discussions.

 Just thought I'd ask what others are thinking and throw my hat into the
ring.