[joomla] Commenting Extension

Stephen Britton sbritton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 14:28:06 EDT 2013

I am not a big fan of Disqus. It's probably the easiest way to add comments
to a website, but the comments are hosted on the Disqcus site, making it
lousy for SEO and the free version puts ads in the comments and looks ugly.

If you want to give visitors the opportunity to post comments on stories,
like the New York Times, you need a comments extension.

My favorite comment extensions are:

Komento - works in J 2.5 and 3.1. It's free, but there is a link back to
the Stack Ideas website, still not bad.
http://extensions.joomla.org/search?q=komento

JComments - works great in J 2.5. Eagerly awaiting the version for 3.1.
Free. On my short list of best Joomla extensions.
http://bit.ly/NGJ4un

RSComments - works in 2.5 and 3.1. From the wonderful folks at RS Joomla,
makers of RS Forms. Paid, but cheap - 19 euros (about $25+).

Blogs are for folks who like to write and want others to comment on what
they have written. In the case of Joomla, all blogging extensions include a
comment system and most add modules for categories, recent articles, tags,
etc.

There a many good blog extensions available for Joomla - K2 is free and
very popular, RS Blog, Easy Blog, etc.

The problem that I find with using these blogs is they add an extra
articles layer. I would rather stick with the native Joomla 3.1 framework -
which already comes with modules for latest articles, categories, most read
articles, tags, etc. and add a good third-part extension like Komento or RS
Comments.

Although I know a lot of folks who love using Easy Blog and K2 for
blogging. Try both methods and use the one you like best.

Hope this helps. Have a great weekend.

- - - Steve