[joomla] Keep your site up to date

Marian Konop mkonop at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 16:04:47 EDT 2013

At the last Joomla NYC meeting I spoke about the joomla.org website, and
drifted off to many topics including some good development practices. One
of the things I try to do with my websites is to remove all content and
extensions not in use.

if you are not using a component - uninstall it. That component could at
some point become a backdoor for hacking even if you are not using it. We
sometimes just ignore things not in use and don't bother to upgrade them.
This can be dangerous.

Removing content makes it easier for a client to work on the site. How many
times have you tried to save an article/menu/category only to find there is
one trashed with the same alias? Remove things you aren't using. Keep it
clean.

I was just looking for something on a website. I know it was joomla because
I use wappalyser in firefox. I couldn't find what I was looking for and I
used the search box to find it. Well, the search results included articles
from the Park demo site that comes with the standard installation. Looks
like the developer didn't remove all those demo articles. Doesn't look good
to have "Baw Baw National Park"  in your search results.

--
*Marian Konop*
Gotham Websites