Application state solutions

Ivan Tumanov ivan at kiwibox.net
Wed Aug 28 17:05:10 EDT 2002

Hi -

I do a lot of development in ASP and some in ColdFusion, but my preferred
web development language is PHP.  However, I've been quite dismayed at my
inability to cleanly port some functionality from my ASP apps into PHP.  The
biggest hurdle by far is that I cannot cache data in "Application scope".
In ASP, I can have "Page scope" - which is just regular variables, "Session
scope" by using the Session object and also "Application scope" which is
accessible to all sessions that are using this web application.  So far, I
haven't found any clean way to do this in PHP except using shared memory,
and I understand that there are limitations on the size of shared memory I
can get my hands on through PHP.

So my question to the list is:

Have you found any clean and simple way to store data in Application scope
in PHP?  I could live with a php class that handles shared memory well and
provides an elegant way to access and manage objects stored there, but
haven't been able to find a good implementation of this yet.

-Ivan