[nycphp-talk] PHP 4.3RC2 Module and Apache 2.0 revisited

Sterling Hughes sterling at bumblebury.com
Sun Dec 1 22:16:51 EST 2002

> Hey Evan:
>
> > Does anyone know why apache would corrupt files
> > over a few K. I am running Apache 2.0 with php as
> > a module and with virtual hosts.
>
> Beats me, but the PHP crew has been telling folks not to use PHP with
> Apache 2 at this point (well, at least when I last heard a few months
> ago) since it's still in major development mode.
>
> Use the latest Apache 1.3.x and you'll be happy.

Rasmus has been telling people not to use Apache 2, period, everybody else
pretty much stays out of that holy war ;-)

PHP and Apache2 is pretty much stable from a PHP perspective - the major
architectural difference is that Apache 2 supports a threaded model instead
of a multi-process model, which means that everything that links into
Apache2 must be threadsafe.  This therefore means that everything that links
into php must also be threadsafe, if you are using libraries that aren't
threadsafe, then you're messed up.

So, when using Apache 2, you can't use the threadsafe model, but using the
multi-process model should be fine.  [1]

In this case :)  I don't think this is a php issue, or an apache 2 issue
(its running quite stably on large sites like download.com that serve many
files above a few K :), I'd take a look at what exactly is happening with
these files - are you locking reads & writes?  What are the permissions?
Are the files themselves messed up - or is it just the display?  Are you
properly setting mime types, etc. etc. etc.

-Sterling

[1]  It also has a few other problems, such as messed up content transfer
encoding, and a rapidly changing filter model, but those would not be
related....