[nycphp-talk] [JOB] PT Junior Developer, Manhattan

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Fri Dec 6 18:25:43 EST 2002

--- Analysis & Solutions <danielc at analysisandsolutions.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 05:03:46PM -0500, Jon Baer wrote:
> > You know ... this REALLY leads to a better discussion on possible PHP
> > Certification of some kind
>
> Bah.  Certification can just mean you're good at taking tests.  Doesn't
> necessarily reflect real world smarts, discipline, nor research and
> hacking skills.

Sure... the same could be said for college, too.

> A good interview, references and coding examples prove far more than any
> certification test.
>
> In fact, requiring certification for a position will likely have you miss
> some really star tallent -- like myself :) -- who don't go along with that
> paradigm.

I agree, but requiring a college degree can cause the same problem.  I guess
my point is, while people in-the-know (developers, for instance) know that a
cert. doesn't necessarily signal a person's skill, IT managers and directors
like the piece of paper - the CYA idea, mainly.

I think a PHP cert. would be valuable, not only to those who hold one, but
also to the language, as a confirmation of a technology's seriousness -
again, in the eyes of the manager/director.  This would be a great project,
but very time consuming, IMHO (preparing a test and course material, etc)

=====
Hans Zaunere
New York PHP
http://nyphp.org