[nycphp-talk] You vs The Other Guy

Jayesh Sheth JayeshSh at netscape.net
Fri Dec 6 21:58:48 EST 2002

Hello,

Just responding to your note:
 > The Rain Maker wrote:

>Running a  consulting firm means that either
>my resume or the "company resume" needs to make a lasting enough
>impression to get a second look. If you get that second look, you will
>be remembered.

I agree that a resume should make its owner memorable  in the eyes of
the potential employer. However, it can only be memorable to the
potential employer if it advertises those qualifications the employer is
looking for. Additionally, it should meet the length requirements
desired by the potential employer.  Which brings me to my next point:
cultural/ international differences in desired resume length and content.

><soapbox position="high and mighty">
>
>Now, as the person sitting behind the desk. I can say most definitely,
>you're resume is nothing more than a bullet list of accomplishments. If
>it's more than two page, 99% chance I won't read it (if it's four or
>more, it won't even get to my desk for review). What *I* want to see on
>a resume is a list of skills, who you worked for and when. That's
>really it. Now if you want to make the "A List" pile (the ones I take
>home and review at dinner/whatever), you *MUST* have a cover letter. I
>want to know 1) what it is you want to do. 2) What it is you have done
>that is related to my project/job. 3) Why you think you would be one of
>my better choice.

I guess, in America, the shorter the sweeter, right? Additionally, as
you stated, what is important to you in making a hiring decision is what
the applicant's skills and experience are like, and if the applicant
desires to work and is capable of working for you. So, all you would
like to know is the facts - " just the facts, sir".

>    o Unless you are applying for position in Europe, don't call your
>resume a CV. You look stupid and ALT-F4 is a fast key stroke.

In Europe, or more specifically Germany (where I worked recently before
forming my own web design company in NYC)  a resume is not called a
resume. It is called a Lebenslauf - i.e. a list of your life-long
experiences. So, you write your "resume" or Lebenslauf in chronological
order: where you were born, where you went to high school, where you
went to college, what you studied, what degree you got, where you worked
thereafter, hobbies - and at the end, you list your skills. In America,
you list your skills at the top to avoid "wasting the other person's
time". In Germany, you have to first establish who you are, where you
come from and where you have been before you can stand up and announce
your qualifications. In Germany a normal resume can be 4 pages. The more
detailed, the better!

I personally like to know more about a person than what he or she can
"do"; somehow, I am curious as to what makes the person tick, what his
or her interests are. Maybe I just have not been around long enough to
learn that all that stuff is really irrelevant - that in the "real"
world all that counts is what's in your head, what  "added value" you
can bring to a company. Maybe I have yet to realize that all that it
comes down to is what is in my head, and if that information can be
successfully summoned to solve someone else's problems.

But somehow, each time I try to entertain that notion - that it's just
what I know, not who I am which signifies my human worth - I am forced
to dismiss it. At the liberal arts college I studied at, the professors
always mentioned seeing things from different angles; they always asked
us the think about the big picture. I ask myself , and all of you now
too: are a person's history, character, personal experiences, personal
victories and personal failures not of importance too? Are they not part
of the bigger picture surrounding our professional lives?

Regards,

- Jay
http://shopnow.netscape.com/