[nycphp-talk] [JOB] PT Junior Developer, Manhattan

Jon Baer jonbaer at jonbaer.net
Mon Dec 9 08:14:59 EST 2002

max goldberg wrote:

>I think to truly be qualified you need to understand many things beyond
>syntax, which most people don't get. It seems no one even writes code
>for high performance and low resource usage any more. Everyone needs
>their hand held through the most basic of exercises. I'm not sure if
>it's just my opinion and current situation, it just seems like a lot

Ive noticed these comments to come from people in their mid-50, early
60's who have spent more than 20 years on C/C++ and have absolutely no
faith in high level languages :-)  Just an observation.

But I think you are right, the very LAST thing people ever ask when
designing a web app today is what kind of resources in terms of memory
requirements, scalability, etc ... I think its just a case of the market
place that has turned from taking ur time to secure an app to come in,
deploy tomorrow, fix bugs later if we need you.  I don't think its a
case of not knowing what u are doing because today (vs. yesterday) there
are several ways to accomplish one thing, no matter if you are a junior
developer or senior architect.  There are things that look pretty and
things that were a late night hack to make it work, but who is to
decide?  I dont think much has changed, in fact I got an assignment on
Saturday for a PHP-based quiz for a site launching on Monday, Id like to
think my options were to figure out how well their php.ini was tweeked
or how they are setup but its something accomplished last nite for
peanuts.  Id like to think something like a PHP+ certificate would help
get more work.

Thanks for the link, I found it very informative, and enjoy the
discussion.

- Jon