[nycphp-talk] Sorry, really stupid question...

Analysis & Solutions danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Sat Dec 28 14:56:45 EST 2002

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 02:26:29PM -0500, Phil Powell wrote:

> $fileID = fopen("nicknames.txt", "a") or die("Could not open " . $path . "/nicknames.txt");
>    chmod("nicknames.txt", 0755);
>    fputs($fileID, $nickname . "\
"); fflush($fileID); fclose($fileID);

Let's rewrite this in more efficient, readable code...
   $File = '/path/to/nicknames.txt';
   $fileID = fopen($File, 'a') or die("Could not open $File");
   fputs($fileID, "$nickname\
");

Key changes...
   * Have the file chmoded in the first place, not every time you open it
     up, nor while you have it open already.
   * Changed double quotes to single quotes in fopen statement.  Double
     quotes only needed when strings are evaluated (have variables in
     them).
   * fflush() isn't needed at all.
   * fclose() happens automatically when the script ends, so is
     only helpful when you have a long script.

--Dan

--
               PHP classes that make web design easier
    SqlSolution.info  | LayoutSolution.info |  FormSolution.info